Some of the most beautiful gardens are shade gardens, or gardens that receive dappled light filtered through the canopy of trees. Urban gardens, like San Francisco home gardens are often surrounded by homes and buildings, creating shadows, and shade, which changes throughout the day and seasons. If this is your experience, and you live in a mild winter climate, the 25 Best in Plants for Shade and Part Shade has a number of goodies for you to consider.
The list is only a fraction of what it could be, and my plan is to create a series on shade gardening, so stay tuned! If you have a shady area and you want to put in some plants, choosing ones that will thrive with less light is key. Here’s the list… Enjoy!
1. BEST in SHADE CONIFER!
2. BEST in NAKED JAPANESE MAPLE!
3. BEST in SPINY VARIEGATED PLANT!
4. BEST in SPLIT LEAF FOLIAGE!
5. BEST in RED FLOWERS!
6. BEST IN LONG LEAFED FOLIAGE!
7. BEST in CONTAINER PLANT!
BEST in CONTAINER PLANT! White big leaf hydrangea with ferns & needlepoint ivy
8. BEST in FERN-LIKE!
9. BEST in RHODODENDRON!
10. BEST in AUSTRALIAN FUCHSIAS!
11. BEST in COMPACT AND MOUNDING!
12. BEST in GLOSSY, HUGE KIDNEY SHAPED LEAVES!
13. BEST IN FRAGRANT VINE!
14. BEST in DRY SHADE!
15. BEST in OUTDOOR ORCHIDS!
16. BEST in PROLIFIC BLOOMER: SPRING AND FALL!
17. BEST in SMALL SPACE TREE!
18. BEST IN PLANT ME UNDER AN OAK TREE!
19. BEST in FAKE OUTDOOR SCEENING PLANT!
20. BEST in WINTER FRAGRANT SHRUBS!
21. BEST in SHRUBBY WALL CLIMBER!
22. BEST in COLORED FOLIAGE!
23. BEST in HYDRANGEAS WITH WAVY LEAVES!
24. BEST in MARBLED FOLIAGE!
25. BEST in RED FRAGRANT PEONY FLOWER CAMELLIA!