HI there and Welcome! If you are new to gardening, you are in for some fun! Years ago I was told that gardening is one of the top hobbies. No surprise there! 🙂 Though I’ve been gardening professionally for 18 years, I can’t think of another activity that is as rewarding, nurturing and creative. Learning how to garden, is also very exciting…
From growing yummy edibles to gorgeous flowering ornamental plants
and the ways of doing so — growing in containers, in the ground, vertically — there are lots and lots of possibilities.
You just need a little space. And if your space is small, that’s where container gardening can be your BFF. If you have a small garden, you may want to figure how to use that space more efficiently to create an outdoor room complete with patio and planting beds.
No matter what your interest, I hope you will find our community of Passionate Gardeners inspirational and informative. Here are some resources to help you get started!
Garden Basics Books:
(There are lots of good beginner gardening books available! Here are several favorites, you can read reviews, & if you like, you can purchase easily on Amazon)
- Sunset Western Garden Book
- Organic Gardening Magazine
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Container Bible
- American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Gardening Techniques
TV Gardening Shows:
American Horticultural Society
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map – This map has average annual minimum temperatures across the US
pruning shears – we love Okatsune Japanese Pruning Shears
hedge clippers – we recommend Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears
tubtrub or container
rose pruning gauntlet gloves
electric leaf blower
(Here are some posts you may find helpful…)
- Potting Soil 101
- How to Pot Plants in Containers
- Potted Plant Maintenance and Care
- Do I Need a Drainage Hole in my New Metal Planter?
- Why Knowing Botanical Plant Names can be Helpful!
- Economical: Container Planting in a Half Wine Barrel
- 11 Best Flowers for Window Boxes
- List of Flowering Trees you will Love!
- Setting up Drip Irrigation: Easy and Affordable!
- Small Gardens: 5 Steps to get you Inspired